Beverly Daniel Scott
Charter Member of Waco 92
Beverly Scott was born July 14, 1815 in North Carolina and was a farmer whose masonic record is impressive. He received a land grant in Nacogdoches in 1847. He eventually made his home near Aquilla Creek north of Waco and on the Brazos. He became a mason in Milam, Texas at Jackson Lodge #35 in 1847 and was raised to Master Mason at Douglas Lodge #43 in the town of Douglas on December 18, 1848. He moved to Waco about 1850 and was a charter member of Waco Lodge at its formation during 1851 and 1852. He served as the second Master of the lodge. In 1855, Bro. Scott transferred to nearby Bosqueville Lodge #171 and served as Master there in 1856 and 1857. Scott owned a farm of 350 acres near the old town of Patrick about 12 miles northwest of Waco. He joined the Confederate Army at the outbreak of the Civil War.
By 1872, Bro. Scott had moved off to an area known as Tehuacana Hills in Limestone County where he was involved with the administration of a new college known as Tehuacana Academy. Though the school closed during the Civil War, what was left of it was adopted by what became Trinity College until that school relocated to Waxahachie in 1902 and again to San Antonio in 1942 where it is now.
He died June 19, 1887 in Mexia.